We hear this request a lot in the salon: “I want you to use permanent color so it lasts longer.” It’s completely understandable, you are investing in a brand new shade and you want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. We do too! But there are reasons why permanent may not be the best choice, here’s why:
Permanent hair color contains ammonia or an ammonia substitute and is much harsher on your hair. There is no reason to inflict extra damage on your hair using permanent hair color. We already do that with daily washing, heat styling and exposure to the elements. There are reasons to use permanent though…..
Permanent hair color is a must if you need to cover gray or want to be lighter than your natural color. Those pesky grays……it doesn’t matter if you want to erase the 3 that you have or you are 100% gray, you will need the strength of permanent to beat those stubborn grays into submission. Or maybe you are dreaming of the light golden blond of your youth? Yep, permanent will be the way to go. You need that power to help remove your natural pigment and to help drive a beautiful toning shade into the hair.
BEWARE….using permanent hair color over and over can keep you from having a different color on down the road. It can happen at the hands of an inexperienced stylist or at home, coloring your entire head over and over with permanent hair color only leads to a corrective color. Sometimes we have to lighten out the unwanted pigment in order to make room for the desired color. With the help of Olaplex, we can safely lighten hair and even get a gorgeous balayage to shine through.
Bottom line: ALL hair color fades. There are many factors that will affect how long your hair color lasts. The condition of your hair is where longevity starts but we always recommend using cool water to wash and rinse your hair, using high quality sulfate free hair products like ColorProof and turning the dial down on the flat iron.
Luster Salon colorists make choices that will leave your hair in the best possible condition. We always recommend a consultation in person so that we can see the condition and color of your hair and make the necessary recommendations. Ready to experience our professional hair color expertise? Give us a call: 931-542-1312
As a professional colorist, I perform consultations several times a week. It’s important that I see the hair in person. I need to see the color history as it lives on the hair, I need to feel the condition of the hair and I need to have an indepth, face to face conversation with the guest. It’s only after an in person consultation can I advise what can be acheived, how long it will take and how much it will cost.
Almost 100% of these consultations have previous color on their hair. Maybe they have been lured by that box of color at the grocery store only to find out it didn’t turn out like the model on the box. Or maybe they visited a salon hoping for professional results. It’s immaterial to me how the color got on their hair, it’s important that I know it’s there. Why? Because once your hair has been colored (and not “virgin” anymore), it reacts differently to being colored in the future. Artificial haircolor simply does not “go away.” Even if there is an attempt to cover it up.
Sometimes a guest may think their color is all natural because it has been several months since it was colored last. Maybe the color they had wasn’t that far off from their natural color or intensity faded and they only see their “natural” color. But the eyes can play tricks on you. Just because you don’t see the color anymore doesn’t mean something isn’t there. So don’t be afraid to be completely honest. During your consultation, let me know what you’ve done to your hair for at least the past 2 years. It will only ensure that we get beautiful results.
Some basic things to keep in mind when you want to change your hair color and it’s been colored in the past:
- Show me multiple pictures of what you want to acheive. Typically one photo does not convey an entire look. Find several that show the idea of what you like. Different angles are a plus as well.
- If your hair has been colored dark or black, expect a lengthy visit or multiple visits taking multiple steps. Dark pigments can be stubborn, especially if they have been applied more than once. It takes professional formulating and precision application techniques to produce succesful results.
- Be prepared to use professional hair care products. There is a difference and I see it when my guests use my brand of choice, ColorProof. Only ColorProof has the newest ingredient technology for maximum color protection.
As always, consultations are complimentary. My team and I take the time to analyze your hair, talk to you about your options and give you a professional opinion on what would look best.
Thanks for reading! ~Carmella
Use our convenient online booking tool to schedule your consultation or call us at 931-542-1312.
Throughout the month of October, anything pink earns you Loyalty points 3 times as fast. Items include the ColorProof Crazy Smooth line, gloMinerals lip and cheek colors, and ALL Pink Pewter Headbands (now 40% OFF!)
Also, show your support for Breast Cancer Awareness month by wearing a pink strand in your hair. Choose from a single Dream Catchers extension for $9 or a Hot Heads splash of pink for $24. Both options stay in your hair for up to 4 weeks.
Show your support for Breast cancer awareness and research by going PINK! Punch it up with a bright new pink lip color. Turn heads with a strand (or two) or pink hair color. Here at Luster Salon, we join the nationwide campaign to put an end to Breast cancer!
Start the school year out right. Make your reservation (August 3rd from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and August 4th from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) for a one on one makeup tutorial and learn which foundation is best for you, get color matched, learn which tools do the best job for your makeup routine, learn how to control oily skin and more!
$25 deposit reserves your 30 minute tutorial. This can be applied to any glo minerals purchase that day. Purchases over $100 will receive an additional 15% off!
Plus, receive TRIPLE Loyalty points on your glo purchases as well as bonus points for joining our event on Facebook, following and liking LoveLusterSalon on Instagram and using the hashtag #gloBackToSchool.
Call 931-542-1312 to reserve your spot!
Cats are Us and Montgomery County Friends of the Shelter are both volunteer organizations that rely solely on donations. From taking in stray animals, rescuing from high kill shelters to providing much needed medical care and holding adoptions events throughout Clarksville, these 2 organization…s work tirelessly to help the abandoned cats and dogs of Clarksville.
Both Cats are Us and MCFOTS will have animals available for adoption at this event. Dr. Baugher from Cats on Commerce will also be donating a free vet check up for any cat adopted at this event. Monetary donations will be accepted as well as much needed supplies like cat and dog food, cat litter, trash bags, cleaning supplies, etc. Those donating at this event will be entered to win one of several door prizes as well as the chance to win a grand prize worth over $200 in products and services at Luster Salon.
The abandoned and stray animal population is at an epidemic level in Clarksville and Montgomery County. The Montgomery County Humane Society euthanizes 77% of the animals it receives. This is twice the national average (clarksvillehumanesociety.o
1. CLEAN HAIR Having color done? Getting extensions put in? Make sure your hair is clean. Styling products, hairspray, even just your natural scalp oils, they can get in the way. Our focus is over each and every formulation and we want to make sure we can see the results of that.
2. DIRTY HAIR Getting a formal style or updo? “Dirty” hair, otherwise known as next day hair, is ideal. The curls stay better and the texture of next day hair allows us to sculpt and shape to the exact style you want. Don’t worry, we won’t judge, we have dry shampoo to freshen things up.
3. WHAT’S YOUR INSPIRATION? You cannot have too many photos to share. They give us an idea of what you want, even if they are photos of what you DON’T want.
4. BUT…….Too many photos can pose a problem if the looks are all over the place. Wanting a change but you are showing us a photo of a platinum pixie and a bronde lob? Narrow down your search and make sure all the inspiration photos are in the same vein.
5. ARE YOU SURE? Big changes to your cut or color can be motivated by alot of things: life milestones, breakups, image changes, etc… We love change but we want to make sure you are going to love it too so it’s best to make a consultation first before contemplating a major change.
6. OOPS….. Hey, it happens. You get wooed by that box of hair color at the grocery store. Thing is, it didn’t turn out quite like the gorgeous model on the box. It’s totally ok, we have ALL done it. We love to fix color but you have to be prepared for us to see you in person first. Sometimes an appropriate fix is as simple as a toning glaze to cover up those brassy roots. Other times it may require a lengthy appointment of color removal, lightening and treatments. Regardless of what you tell us over the phone, it’s crucial to the success of your correction that we see your hair in person first with a consultation.
7. WE LOVE YOU BUT…. Please show up on time. We know, traffic gets gnarly or you get stuck in a lengthy conversation. With any appointment, a specific amount of time is reserved just for you and we want to use every minute of it to give you exactly what you came for: detailed highlights, precision cut and all the other extras we are known for. Plus, we will have another client right after you and we want to respect their time as well. I know, we run behind too but we love to make it up to you in the form of a complimentary conditioning treatment or extra bonus loyalty points.
Thanks for reading! Did we miss something? Want to share your secret? Share with us on Facebook.
Ombré, Balayage, Ecaille……how am I supposed to pronounce all these things?
A new haircolor trend is making it’s way and it’s gorgeous. It’s called “Ecaille” and yes, it’s another word to figure out how to pronounce. This French word means “torishell” and as you can guess, the colors are like those in tortishell glasses or a torishell kitty. Think variying shades of brown: deep chocolate at the interior with caramel ribbons throughout plus face framing splashes of butterscotch. Yummy, without all the calories!
Like haircolor cousins Ombré and Balayage, Ecaille is a specialty hair color process. If you are already a deeper shade of brown, your colorist would need to lighten the necessary strands and then glaze to add mid-level of depth where needed then add a complimentary lighter golden tone on the ends. Since this trend is full of warm, sunny shades, it’s not for someone who desires very cool, ashy tones.
Want to try Ecaille at your next visit? Be sure your hair colorist has the appropriate amount of time or CLICK HERE to book a consultation.
ONLY 6 MORE SHOPPING DAYS LEFT!
For the fashionista, that friend who needs a makeover or for that man in your life, we’ve got something for everyone on your list. Keep your last minute shopping simple by buying local.
HERE’S SOME GREAT IDEAS:
Plus, 30% off remaining Moroccanoil Body!